Thursday, September 15, 2011

Breaking Bad(ly)

 

I suspect the big girl got really insulted when we returned from last year’s cross-country round trip and people would be surprised to hear we had driven almost 7,000 miles. Even more surprised when I would tell them Catalina was a 1988 RV, very similar to the RVs around Nebraska, cooking meth. Well, La Poderosa had to do it again, hit that road and rip through this enormous country. I admit, sometimes breaking badly and other times badly breaking down. But nevertheless, piling up miles after miles. And guzzling that sweet (and expensive) gasoline,of course.

 

August 29_13-41-52

 

This year’s road trip was quite different than last year’s: whereas we had been planning for the trip for a solid 9 months, this year the trip came together in less than 3 weeks and minimal preparation. Catalina had been up for sale since June, but only with local ads. Not a lot of interest or offers. I then realized Fairfield county was not a hot market for 29’ RVs, so I decided to place it on Ebay. Less than two days in and a couple from Arizona contacted me, asking if I would drive it to the west coast and deliver the RV. I felt like a 5-year old kid being asked if he wanted ice cream for dessert.

 

August 29_15-47-39August 29_15-53-41August 29_15-45-43August 29_13-39-53

 

All of a sudden going to Burning Man was no longer an intangible dream for the year, but actually a very viable option, and magically in the best possible hippie way: driving to it! I

August 29_16-15-10

 

 

August 30_08-41-32August 30_08-43-38

 

August 30_22-08-53

2 comments: